CGDevTools Forum

Welcome to the Official CGDevTools Support Community Forums.

Cannot update embedded picture for menu item

by bob9999 » 21 Feb 2019 18:49

Hi there. I wanted to report a bug here instead of the support email since this will probably be hit by someone else too. When a new vert menu is created with embedded pictures all is fine and my picture looks great with the menu option. I have to use a png image type or there are render issues for size but that is easy to convert. The issue comes up when I want to update the picture in place. The old picture always stays and I can only clear it. The moment I try the new image the old one just renders.

If I create a new menu with the new image then all is OK but then when I rename the menu to the old one, then the image returns so there is some shadow connected to the component name. I then rename the new menu to a "2" suffix to be unique and then change all over to this and then all is rendering with the new menu picture.

In looking closer at the dfm file I see the old menu component name still so what appears to be occurring is that the picture is not saving properly here and the area is just sticking around. Looks like there is a save issue to the DFM file with this component. From what I see here it looks like the picture image is appended each time instead of replaced so then it appears that the image is never updated.

So the workaround seems to be to delete the picture in the IDE and then close the form and then to manually update the DFM so there is no image remaining when a picture is to be updated.

Cheers!
bob9999

by bob9999 » 21 Feb 2019 19:06

Sorry I typed part of that wrong. There seems to be a in-place save issue in the DFM from what I am seeing but when I remove the component it is deleting from the DFM OK. I just wanted to clarify that part since that was misleading for the delete component case.
bob9999

by Alexander Bulei » 22 Feb 2019 17:19

Hi bob9999,

Please check:

viewtopic.php?f=118&t=3129&p=15603&hilit=UserCache#p15603

Note

Please use the search on forum.

Best Regards.
Group: Developers | Support Team

• info [at] cgdevtools.com - General information
  • sales [at] cgdevtools.com - Sales department
  • support [at] cgdevtools.com - Product and Technical Support
Alexander Bulei
Site Admin

by bob9999 » 24 Feb 2019 22:48

I perform extensive searches with various key words on this forum and other places but it is easy to miss an exact match. In this case though, what you are saying is still causing an issue and is something you may want to look at for future releases. That is why I missed that topic. I am in the designer updating the picture for the menu item manually. This should take care of any overhead needed to perform its tasks and update the CacheName if it wants to on its own.

Since the tool is not updating the cache, looks like I have to delete the imgcache folder or appropriate file here for each implementation to be safe. I was wondering what that folder was that it created at runtime on its own. An even safer way may be to avoid embedded images entirely and use a static filename for the menu item and reference instead. I am leaning towards deleting the imgcache folder when implementing a new application so then it can just rebuild the whole thing on its own.

Thank you for pointing out this extra cache concept Alexander! That solved a future production issue for me later. I will search for anything to do with cache to ensure there are no other pitfalls to watch out for.

Cheers!
bob9999

by Alexander Bulei » 25 Feb 2019 10:23

Hi bob9999,

You can set the UserCache = True, that's will resolve your problem with updating.

Best Regards.
Group: Developers | Support Team

• info [at] cgdevtools.com - General information
  • sales [at] cgdevtools.com - Sales department
  • support [at] cgdevtools.com - Product and Technical Support
Alexander Bulei
Site Admin

by bob9999 » 25 Feb 2019 17:24

Wow, thank you alexander! I just swept through and updated all for anything embedded. When I go into the documentation, there is nothing for anything to do with cache that I could find. When I go into vertmenu explicitly there is reference to picture but no drill down from there. I know what it is like creating documentation and the work involved so I just wanted to bring this into awareness for you. Cheers!
bob9999

Return to JQVertMenu