CGDevTools Forum

Welcome to the Official CGDevTools Support Community Forums.

Image Gallery Advice?

General discussion

by Aggie85 » 19 May 2014 19:12

Howdy All!

I am looking for advice on the best way to achieve something!

I am currently using a grid with grouping enabled to display rows of images. I am using a control formatter and I put up to 3 images per row.

The problems with this approach are:

1) Unable to disable the grouping +/-. I can get rid of the image by overriding the CSS, but.

2) The images are loaded independently; that is, you can see the images loading at different times without any rhyme or reason!

3) Part of #1 and #2 is the grid can be initially slow.

I have seen image galleries shown on the web that are much smoother and render more quickly (or maybe just appear to become they are more fluent)!

So my questions are:

1) Is there a better existing way using the available CGDevTool components do achieve my goal?

2) If not, is there a jquery component that I can request the guys are CGDevTools to add that does it?

Thanks in advance!

Aggie85
Aggie85

by Jorge Sousa » 19 May 2014 19:20

Hello

Can you detail a little more the method that you are using for 1, 2 and 3?

The other comps you can use for image gallery are Caroussel and FancyBox
Best Regards
CGDevTools Develop / Support Team
Home Page: http://www.cgdevtools.com
Jorge Sousa

by Aggie85 » 19 May 2014 19:31

cgdevtools_support wrote:Hello

Can you detail a little more the method that you are using for 1, 2 and 3?

The other comps you can use for image gallery are Caroussel and FancyBox

Howdy!

I allow my users to display a group of "events". Each event has a title and an image. Since I have currently fixed my IW app at 960 pixels wide, I use the grid as follows:

1) Each grid record has a single column with a gcfControl. The control is a region with 3 label + image combinations. I fill in the # of events I have and then hide any unneeded.

2) In order to "show" the group the events belong in, I have another grid column that I use to "group" the events.

The solution works I would like a way if possible of doing the equivalent of VCL BeginUpdate() / EndUpdate() (probably not possible but it seems other web pages around I see are more fluent)!

Again, I am just in the process of nitpicking my web app!

Thanks,

Aggie85
Aggie85

by Jorge Sousa » 19 May 2014 23:31

Hi

First, I strongly suggest you to use FormatOptionsControl.CreateCellsOnRender = True

Then, If you look at the network tab of the browser debug tools, what what is the critical time? the images?

If you don't use the same urls for the images, they will never get cached from the browser.

I hope it helps
Best Regards
CGDevTools Develop / Support Team
Home Page: http://www.cgdevtools.com
Jorge Sousa

by Aggie85 » 20 May 2014 16:41

cgdevtools_support wrote:Hi

First, I strongly suggest you to use FormatOptionsControl.CreateCellsOnRender = True

Then, If you look at the network tab of the browser debug tools, what what is the critical time? the images?

If you don't use the same urls for the images, they will never get cached from the browser.

I hope it helps

Thanks for the quick reply! I believe the above will probably solve my problem. In the early days of my app I couldn't get the CreateCellsOnRender to work properly with its event. I will see if I can figure out what was causing me issues and try that!

Thanks again,

Aggie85
Aggie85

Return to General - Archive