CGDevTools Forum

Welcome to the Official CGDevTools Support Community Forums.

Adding tabs into second row

by bob9999 » 30 Jan 2019 23:23

Hi there.

I have an add tab button on my form allowing the user to add as many tabs as he or she needs. I know you state to use pagination since any tabs added that go into 2+ rows cannot be clicked on or selected.

I find the pagination restrictive from a design viewpoint and wanted to offer a suggestion for a future release to allow more tabs to be added than one row. I am finding it not easy to keep tabs on the user if the situation has expanded to the second row. Is there a way to stop a tab being added that will go to a second row in this construct in the current release? I am using Delphi 10.2.3 and IW15.

The on-line demo allows you to keep going on to the second row by the way and your delete event to remove tabs is not coded I think. Your on-line demo makes it appear that something is not working and may affect your sales. Just something I wanted to mention from a business viewpoint.

Cheers.
bob
bob9999

by Alexander Bulei » 04 Feb 2019 10:26

Hi Bob,

I don't understand what you mean, you're talking about the tabs headers?

Best Regards.
Group: Developers | Support Team

• info [at] cgdevtools.com - General information
  • sales [at] cgdevtools.com - Sales department
  • support [at] cgdevtools.com - Product and Technical Support
Alexander Bulei
Site Admin

by bob9999 » 04 Feb 2019 16:33

Hi, Alexander. Yes, the heading area just allows for one row of active tabs and since the tool allows the addition of multi-rows, it would be great to have the more than one row active so we can have more of them. In a responsive layout one row can easily render to 2 rows depending on design. The great thing in lei of this though is to be able to know how many header rows have rendered at run-time. Cheers. bob
bob9999

by bob9999 » 04 Feb 2019 18:07

I was thinking about this more and a future possible modification in the component would be a property called "MaxNumberHeaderRows" and then have an algorithm for shortening the caption of the tab at run-time. So then the component renders always with that maximum in mind. So the caption could change to "Long Tab..." to shorten at run-time. You can then have the component truncate any tabs that fall off the maximum row to ensure the header is under precise control. This would allow a nice responsive layout during render on any width screen. In extreme circumstances, the tab can have no caption since the tab could be very small on the screen in this concept. This is all in design situations where we don't want to use pagination. Cheers! bob
bob9999

by Alexander Bulei » 05 Feb 2019 10:17

Hi Bob,
Due the component structure, it's not possible to implement the headers in multiple rows.

Best Regards.
Group: Developers | Support Team

• info [at] cgdevtools.com - General information
  • sales [at] cgdevtools.com - Sales department
  • support [at] cgdevtools.com - Product and Technical Support
Alexander Bulei
Site Admin

by bob9999 » 05 Feb 2019 16:00

OK, great. Thank you Alexander for letting me know. Is there a way to know if the component has gone to multiple rows at run-time? I can then change the caption names myself during render so then they will fit on one row. Cheers.
bob9999

Return to JQTabs